Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Milton Fredericks AKA Cat Tounge


In the Kingstown area there was a man whom I later discovered was a bright fellow. However, all of Milton Fredericks brilliance was over shadowed by the way he spoke.

Milton had a very high pitched somewhat scrawly voice, that mimicked the yowling of a cat. As a result, Milton Frederick was branded with the name Cat-tongue. Milton was not one who was afraid of people, however he was respectful. The life of Milton Frederick's could not have been easy, because everyone over looked his good qualities and focused on his speech.

Many people thought it was funny to get Milton to respond, and he often do. Their was a way into tricking Milton that was very funny, and that was to call him by his correct name: Milton Frederick's and when he turned to acknowledge you, then you said Cat Tongue. This was funny too all but it could not have been funny to Mr. Frederick's.

Milton was good for himself, growing up in the Kingstown area he knew the history of most of the people who went out of their way to make his life miserable. If you were Milton's age or older and you were raped or homosexual, or your character was compromised in any way Milton will let you know.

Two of Milton's favorite lines in reply to heckling him by calling him Cat Tongue was: I ever suck your mother tongue, and for those who were into homosexuality, he will say, go on, you tell you batty and make lard oil measure. Which can really silence the talkative.

A testament to Cat-tongue's character was the way he dealt with children who called him out of his name. This also speak to the respect Milton has was, he did not find it in his heart to disrespect, or insult children who called him out of his name. It was not that he did not have the ammunition to do so, he just didn't. In response to a child who choose to do disrespect him he call you by you gender, while identifying your parents and threatened to make a complaint to your mother or father (you boy "fo" Bundo I will make a complaint to your father). Which he never really did. This was a sign of this man's brilliance even if he knows your name he never used it but he identified you by your parents.

I was very young and I was in the Middle Street not to far from my home, in the vicinity of Mr. Tucker shop, where The currently operates her shop. I was very young, I heard The high pitched voice of Cat-tongue giving someone the history of their family. He had passed me, and was heading in the direction of his home.

After he passed me I decided to call Milton out of his Name. I shouted: Milton Frederick's - Cat-tongue, trying to disguised my voice. Milton turned around he looked at me and he said: "You boy "fo Palmer, I did not expect that from you". Even at that young age, I understood what that means. He expected such behavior from others but not Mr. Palmer's son.

This man who everyone took the time to harassed and had what appeared to be having fun held me to a higher standard than the other people in the community, by the virtue of who my father was. As if that was not enough, still establishing eye contact with me he continued putting me to shame, and your mother is a good woman, as he shook his head from left to right in this believe.

No one could have taught me a better lesson in, respecting my family and my family name in the manner in which I behaved. What Milton Fredericks told me put into perspective something my father always told me. And that is, I do not have much, to leave you, but what I have to give you is my good name. I hope you maintain that good name and give it to your family.

I can also remembered I applied to JW Abbott and son, for a sales Job, I showed up to the office to an interview. While in the office with the Manager of Abbott and son, the manager looking over my application said, I see you are from Rose Place, isn't that Bottom Town, I said yes. Now I became discouraged, no one wanted to hear Bottom Town people because of the reputation of the area.

Then he said you are Palmer, what are you to Mr. Palmer in Bottom Town with the shop? I said he is my father. When I made the declaration admitting that Mr. Palmer from Bottom Town was my father, the interview ended immediately. Mr. Looked at me and said "no need to continue this interview," I was shocked by his declaration. The manager close the file, stood to his feet looked at me in my eyes and declared, this Job is yours if you want it. I will hear you base on the reputation of your father your father is a good and honest man.

I did not know my father knew such people, and to that extent. When I went home, I went into my father shop and I took a good look at the man who was held in such high regards by people in high places; a good man. Thought not perfect the best father I could have ever hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Big Four.

In the 1980s and 1990s, there were four young men who were always present at every secondary school sport meet. They even officiate at the s...