In this two article series in which I am dealing with Calypso Masterpieces by Vincentian calypsoians. Although there are many classic calypsos; it is important to note, from my knowledge, there is only one other calypso that fits into this category, and that is Lord Nelson Liar.
Now it is time for me to present the second of the two Masterpiece. The first Master Piece I deal with was "Ain't have nothing at all" by Brother Ebony, and the second one is a song that was done by one of St. Vincent and the Grenadines master entertainers, I said master entertainers because Reginald Padmore the Professor was not merely a calypsoian he was a prolific master of ceremonies and comedian also.
The song from the Professor that made the Master piece list is the type of song, writers after hearing, wish they came up with the concept and penned the song. I speak of no other song but: Body confusion. This song told a story of a sleeping man who, while a sleep; or to be more specific; while he lie down resting, he overheard a conversation that he later share with the audience.
This was not a conversation between two or more people; it was not even a conversation between animals. However, this was a conversation between the parts of his physiological anatomy: his own body. This was not a friendly conversation but an adversarial conversation, where grievances were being aired.
This is a well written song, with genuine gripes that only a creative mind could have come up with; and presented in the manner in which was. If one were to imagine an argument between the selected body parts, the points raise in the song would have actually been valid points of contentions that would have been reason for the selected body parts to argue about.
The introduction saw an argument erupted between foot and hand. The argument was started by the foot; who made some serious criminal accusation against the hand. The hand on the other hand, retaliated by justifying his alleged criminal acts, by revealing that foot, was not only an accomplice to the crimes, but also benefited from the crimes. The first verse of the song goes like this.
Verse 1.
One night in my bed I lie down resting;
some parts of my body start quarreling,
Foot tell hands you thieving son-of-a-gun;
when you steal people things, is me does have to run.
foot say hand man you blasted ungrateful to;
It's me does spend many to by shoes for you.
Chorus:
body, body, body; body confusion.
body, body, body; big body confusion.
However, this song continued with other body parts getting involved, in the argument, which led to total chaos among the body parts, which may eventually ended up with the professor totally unable to function with the level of disunity that erupted. Although I cannot remember the rest of that song, it was one of the songs I really enjoyed and was a hit on the radio.
I wish I was able to go into a greater analytical details of this song, in the same manner I did with brother Ebony's song. Unfortunately, I cannot for the simple reason, I cannot remember the rest of the song, the song is not on YouTube and I don't have access to the song otherwise than that which I remembered.

No comments:
Post a Comment