In reviewing Hail Garifuna by Zanfir Man Zangie Adams; I refused to give the same introduction to this song, that I give to the others, however you should access the previous reviews I did when I reviewed Abijah’s 2018 Calypos: Vision and Shaunelle Mc. Kenzie’s song: Life isn’t fair, to beautiful compositions.
To begin this review I will say that this production is a very sophisticated and scientifically advance recording. You may have noticed I did not say song or composition; the preceding statement was intentional. This is so because I am not speaking about the art of carefully choosing and putting words together, to skillfully tell a story, creating a melody of words; that is easy to which we sing along. However, I am speaking about the recording. I will explain at the end.
There is no denying the fact, that Zamfir Adams whose calypso name is “Man Zangie” is one of the best young male calypso voices in recent time. That is something no one can take away from this young man. Zangie is able to perform many vocal tricks that enhances his presentation. There is something about a person with a beautiful voice like Shaunelle McKenzie's voice, who has that abilities that allows her to take any poorly written song and serenade and audience into believing that that song is a work of art. It is all in the voice and the skillful use of that voice; and Man Zangie has that ability and used it in this song.
In the same manner many USA gospel singers have used an original chorus and is able to repeat that chorus six or seven times using different vocal pitch and singing style that left the audience convinced that this chorus is an entire song. That is the gift and the privilege of a good singer when compare to another person that has a good voice.
I have listen to this song to the point of where I could say that I studied Zamfir's Song: Hail Garifuna. I will say for the most part the song followed the basic verse structure that is expected from a song. However, this song is a rush job; this song dealt with a topic that is worthy of being address, the song has a fairly good chorus line, however there are some basic deficiencies that is nicely disguised under the mass confusion, which was designed to hide the song deficiencies.
i. The first is the sweet accompanying musical arrangement.
ii. The beautiful voice of the singer.
iii. The tons vocal backflips that Zangie did throughout the song.
iv. The over pronunciation of key words, in key area of the song.
v. The Miss-pronunciation of words to connect the lines.
vi. The use of auto tune technology
vii. The rolling of his “R” to distract listeners.
viii. And the last point I will deal with at the end.
My first problem is there is too much going on in the song; there are two bridge in the song, a bridge rightly place can enhance a song and break up the monotony of the song. However, a bridge is thrown into this song to connect two vocally unrelated rhythmic parts of the song.
My second problem with the song is; the song does not have proper line transition. Line transition is best use with similarity in word sound or word that rhymes; and words that fits together smoothly. To cover this up you can hear Zangie over pronouncing and distorting the pronunciation of key word in order to find some common ground between rhyming and finding a smooth fit in accomplishing line transition.
As a matter of fact, except for the opening of the song where he had two rhymes to connect the lines, one of which he over shot, and the second one he nail, but apart from the transition into the chorus, there is no smooth line connection be it appropriate wording or rhymes. This is repeated thought out the song. Unfortunately, the first verse was the best where song construction is concerned. This song is a collection of information that was sang using his beautiful voice and vocal backflips to cover the deficiencies in the song and line structure.
This is a poorly written song with a very good chorus, and one or two highlights. I did my retention test on this song. I listen to the song repeatedly without any particular effort to learn the song; because I wanted to see how much of the song I will remember, Unlike in Abijah’s, Shaunelle’s and Shena Collis’ song, where I was able to remember most of their songs. I was only able to remember the transition into the chorus and the Chorus of the song: Hail Garifuna.
The second test I often use to determine the structural quality of a song is; can a vocalist like Abijah sing that song and get away with it. I say NO he cannot; and that is because of the poor construct of the essay that is being recited and passed off as a "song".
This song is a recitation of historical facts; stripped bear of the mechanics that would make a collection of word a song. It qualifies to be an essay with a chorus. In my opinion this was a rush job, it had a lot of potential, but it needed time to be developed into a song.
I have a sneaking suspicion; this song; was handpicked by certain key people, within the Vincentian political community, to win the calypso Monarchy for 2018, and it would have done so without difficulty. Hence, the reason there was so much effort put into the production of the song, and not necessary the writing of the song.
There is much evidence, that this song is laced with underlying of demonic codes that was place there either during the recording or mastering process of the song, in the same manner they do in the international music industry, to get people to go out and purchase the record. However, the demonic codes are placed in particular songs are place there to accomplished specific objectives.
In this case the objectives of the codes in this song were not design to sell records; but to be used to distract the listener from the deficiencies in the structure of the song while generating a liking for the song. hence the reason, I was unable to complete this review and I moved on to review Abijah's and Shaunelle's songs.
In this case the objectives of the codes in this song were not design to sell records; but to be used to distract the listener from the deficiencies in the structure of the song while generating a liking for the song. hence the reason, I was unable to complete this review and I moved on to review Abijah's and Shaunelle's songs.
It will be interesting to learn who was responsible for recording and mastering this song. What will be more interesting is if the artist is aware of what was done to his song.
Why do I get the impression that the political powers in St. Vincent and the Grenadines are doing all in their efforts to discourage the singing of political and social commentaries and to ensure that no one who feature them, their political associates and their party negatively in a song ever wins the Calypso competition.

No comments:
Post a Comment