A simple act that is lace with though and consideration especially in times of needs and distress can make a great difference, to a person who is going through adversity of any kind. This brings me to an experience that leads me to express my gratitude for a thoughtful act expressed in a time of need.
While I was confronted with my deeply and intensely conflict with the Bermuda Police authority; a conflict which saw me being suspended from the service, and bombarded with all manner of illegal and unethical actions that was leveled against me; with a hope that I will break under the pressure. In this case the Bermuda Police Service authority, slapped me with more than twenty internal charges, and tries to push forward with a trial, while I was under high dosage of painkillers, that helped me to deal with the severe pains which stemmed from a surgical repair of an umbilical hernia and a broken tail bone (coccyx bone) which I received from a fall while participating in the Bermuda Day Parade preforming tricks on my roller blade.
This was a very stressful period in my life, for the main fact; I did not have any friends and family on that island, and thus, I was without a supportive network that would have been essentially instrumental in providing the needed support that would help any one or group through such a tumultuous period in their lives. It was this simple but critical fact, was what the Bermuda Police authority was counting and they expected a break through soon; so they pile on the character breaking stress, pushing me to breaking point.
It will be important to note, while I was going through this period of trials, I was isolated, my colleagues whom I stood by, supported even got involved in their plight when they were going through less stressful trials, even whom I have stood with, defended and secure their redemption from serious allegations. What was more shameful, is that of all the Vincentians who came to Bermuda just before I went there and after me, the same Vincentian police officers, whom the Bermuda police administration would have consulted with me on matters of their character, professionalism, policing experience, etc. In other words, they all owe their employment with the Bermuda Police Service to my good recommendations. It was my honesty and high standard of professional ethics, and wealth of knowledge that put me in that position.
Here we had a situation, where the same people who borrowed money from me and kept putting of the payment month after month’ even though they were making 7 times the amount they were accustomed to make in St. Vincent and the Grenadines; yet they received no pressure from me. The same police officers, who had committed travesties that was worthy of being fired from the Bermuda Police Service, where everyone (police officers) expected them to be fired; however, I guided them, prepared their report for them and help them through their turmoil situation and saved their employment.
The same Vincentian who walked around St. Vincent and the Grenadines like star police officer, but when they arrived in Bermuda, where they did not have the level of protection from senior authority they had in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, was proven to be the embodiment of incompetence.
The same people that after work and while I was on day off, I will drive to their station to teach them the basics that they should have known; to cover their incompetence; I will always go into the police system and ensure they appear professional and knowledgeable.
The same people who had to be transferred to a low volume station where they were given the opportunity to learn policing because of the limited policing knowledge they had.
There were two of the Vincentian that came to visit me in that trying time of oppression and stress. One came to try to get information from me that the Bermuda Police Service authority can use against me; he tried to put the final nail in my coffin. So while all others were afraid and worried about how they will be perceived for doing what is right and refrained from doing what is right; there was one man who just do the right thing because it was the right thing to do.
And then there was Franklyn Graham; Franklyn did what my other Vincentian brother fail to do; while I was going through my winter in Bermuda: my time of trial. He showed up at my apartment and he said; Allan, I was at home and my mind ran on you, I said to myself, Allan is a good man, a man anyone of us (Vincentian) can depend upon if the get into trouble here; let me go and see how he is doing; Because If I was in his position, he is one man I know would be fighting with me.
Franklyn Graham’s thoughtfulness and action was very appreciated Franklyn Graham’s and it was one of the things that spurred me on not to give up, or to fall into self-pity but to fight on fearless. So and this Independence Day; I solute Franklyn Graham and say to him thank you for your simple but profound act of kindness.


No comments:
Post a Comment